Friday, January 20, 2012

How it began...

It's 2012! A new year! A fresh start! And let's face it - I'm a sap for Resolutions. I've always been a goal-driven person. If I want something, I make it a goal. A formal goal. A step-by-step, implementable, measurable goal. Set up (of course) with lots of accountability. Nerdy, I know. But it's the truth! So I started pondering..."what do I really want to do in 2012..."


Well  - I definitely wanted to start exercising more. Doctors recommend at least 150 minutes a week for a girly like me. I could accomplish that with 22 minutes, 7 days a week. Or maybe 30 minutes, 5 days a week. But man, that's hard. I needed a way to keep myself in check. So...I started paying myself as an incentive! If I do 150 minutes a week, I'll get $10. If I make it the whole month, I get a $10 bonus.


A few weeks into 2012, the exercising was going well. But - geez! It was just.... so.... boring! Of course, I'd still do it. A goal is a goal. That said, I wanted something more. Something that wouldn't require motivating incentives or accountability checks. Something interesting. Something F-U-N!


There was only one answer.


FOOD.


I love food. I mean - I really, really LOVE food. It's thrilling to make, beautiful to behold, satisfying to eat. Flavorful, colorful, seductive. Ubiquitous across time and circumstance. Both the center of wholesome events and the catalyst for wanton nights. If I wanted a 2012 goal to be interesting and fun, it had to be about -  food.


Thus, the "Year of the Food Rainbow" was born. Here's what my goal involves:


  1. First, I listed the top 12 stand-alone colors
    • Red, green, yellow, blue, orange, purple, black, white, brown, gray, pink, gold
    • Next, I assigned a color to each month. But rather than just doing a blanket assignment, I came up with fun ways to say these colors that also started with the first letter of each month. Took a bit of creativity, but totally worth it!
      • January - Jaune
      • February - Floral white
      • March - Magenta
      • April - Ash grey
      • May - Mocha
      • June - Jungle green
      • July - Jet black
      • August - Amethyst
      • September - Scarlet
      • October - Orange
      • November - Navy
      • December - Dorado
    • Each month, I will cook something I've never attempted before that highlights the month's color.
    So - that's how it all began. Now that's it's nearly the end of January, I've only got a week and a half to come up with a killer yellow dish! Something daring that I've never tried to cook before.
    http://www.yorkvision.co.uk/lifestyle/eating-the-rainbow/attachment/food-rainbow-300x262/

    Stay tuned to see what I create!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment